domenica 2 dicembre 2007

Thesis time has come!


Photo by Abdullah AL-Naser

Thanks to Sarah who reminded me that I have to start thinking seriously to my thesis, to my next graduation, and above all to the hard work that stays behind a good production! I can’t escape! Time has come! And isn’t it a wonderful manner to start this run that to write something, and therefore to make a little research to find out what the fundamental tips for a judicious work are? I am sure this will help us all!
I remember when I was preparing the thesis for my first graduation: lot of time spent searching for the most interesting books and authors, for the most useful critical reviews and essays. I was always reading and underlining, copying and pasting, readapting and cutting. What a hard work! And if you are a fussy person as I am, it becomes really an obsession! Everything must be perfect! But unfortunately we all know this isn’t always possible. We have to live together with our imperfection and with the imperfection of our works!
But I’m sure there are some tips we all have to follow in order to produce a discrete text. The most important in my opinion is that you’ve always to read and analyze the texts by yourself. It’s your thesis therefore don’t confide to the others’ suggestions. You’ve lot of time (really?!?), so read whatever is possible in order to increase your knowledge and discover new topics and pieces of information.
As far as the online sources are concerned I’m quite skeptical. You don’t have to be a writer, a critic or a professor to write something in the net. Everyone can do this! So I don’t rely on the web as a trustworthy source for my thesis work. It may be that you can find interesting arguments and subjects, but I think the net isn’t a reliable mean of knowledge, yet! Books, articles and essays give me more a sense of security and certainty by now!

4 commenti:

alessia f. ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.
alessia f. ha detto...

Hi Giovanna,
books surely are our safety belt! Nevertheless, I think the Internet can simplfy our life: what about chunks of texts available online? and complete essays? The great problem is that searching the net is a time demanding activity because you always need to check the validity of your source and as we all konw this means hours in front of a pc. Well..I think your second thesis worth it ;-)!
See you,
alessia

ps: nice picture...it reminds me someone two years ago...!!

The Ghellers ha detto...

Hi Giovanna,
I'm quite sceptical too about the documents we can find online but I think that there's something good!(Read my post to see what I think!).
What about criteria? You wrote "don't rely on the others", so what do you think of del.icio.us? Would you find it useful for your thesis for example?
Let me know...
Stefania

caterina_luison ha detto...

Hi giovanna!!!
I'm really envy because you are thinking about your thesis...I have to still do a lot of exams!!! I think that is right to be careful in front of the Internet, but at the same time, you can find out many interesting sources. The point is to analyse where they come from. And for this reason the suggestions of the three sites are very useful even if they are not always simple to apply!!
bye bye