lunedì 19 novembre 2007

Learning English through your iPod!

photo by Tyson Smith

I have to admit this was the very first time I had some problems in order to understand what “podcasting” means. Therefore I apologize with all my peers to have been so late! I had to search the definition of this word in the dictionaries and last in Wikipedia, and it’s here where I found the most detailed description. In the end I discovered that is more or less the activity I do every time I download a file for my iPod. You can now understand how stupid I am in using computer!

To sum up, podcasts are above all music and video files you can download automatically in your computer and then transfer in your mp3 reader, if you want. Nowadays, for example, lots of radio stations create their podcasts in order to enable users to listen to them wherever they want. You don’t always have the time to listen your favorite radio program, so that you can do it when it is more congenial to your obligations.

By subscribing in bloglines. com the most interesting podcasts websites I found I noticed how useful it can be to get informed whenever they are updated with new files, new interviews, new programs and new discussions. After 6 weeks of class I can say the computer tools we are getting to know week by week will be helpful for the improvement of our oral skills, as well.

After a little research, thanks to del.icio.us that undoubtedly makes me waste less time, I discovered some affective websites:

- English as a Second Language Podcasts it's a kind of English course in the net. Instead of buying one of those expensive series of dvds with dialogues and exercises to learn English, here you are a perfect one. You can find dialogues, with the text transcription too, on the most various topics: from the discussion with your boss to tips on how to write a love song for your lover. If you register to the websites, you have the possibility to learn new vocabulary and grammar rules. Each episode represents a short piece of everyday life and this will help you in your English practice.

- Open Culture: Audiobook Podcast Collection it's a audio library, where you can find chapters of some of the most famous novels and poetry of English literature read by some English mothertongues. I straigh away searched for my favorite authors, that are the Bronte sisters, but unfortunately I couldn't find the audiobook of "Wuthering Heights", so that I cheered me up by listening to a chapter of "Jane Eyre". How a useful tool is this website in order to practice my English pronounciation!

- BBC Radio Homepage in order to get updated everytime with news from all over the world. How could it be missed? Besides listening to the news all the times you want to understand them better and to practice pronounciation and learning new words, I found interesting the link that allow you to listen to the news in different languages and the free music you can listen to through the BBC Radio.

I'm sure that a tool like the one we have learnt to use this time will turn my approach to computer science and technology more positive and optimistic. I enjoyed surfing the net to find something which could help me improving my English oral skills. Hoping to learn much more about this, see you at the next discovery!

6 commenti:

The Ghellers ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!
We found out more or less the same sites! Hopefully, they’re good!:-)In my list there isn’t your second choice: “Open culture”, but it’s the one I was referring to at the beginning of my post. I think that the idea of an audio library is simply wonderful, not only to improve our English skills, but also for us in general. I mean, it’s a pleasure to listen to a story – think at children, they just love it!
Stefania

caterina_luison ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!!!
I appreciate the first paragraph of your blog...because I've understood that I'm not the only one that didn't know what a podcast is!!! After surfing in the net, I've understood that podcasts are maybe the thing that I always use when I download something from Internet!!!I am a little bit stupid, isn't it?!!
We both found out BBC radio...and I think that it is a really good website because it gives news from all over the world and not only in English, but also in other 33 languages....that's good!!!
See you tomorrow....I hope that we'll speak also face to face and not only through the PC!!!
Cate

Roby ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.
Roby ha detto...
Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.
Roby ha detto...

Dear Giovi,
Don’t worry about your delay…You wrote your post on Monday instead of Sunday…I think it is not so weighty!!
I like the picture you chose...it’s funny!( honestly, the one you chose for “How many things we learn!” upsets me a little!! Probably I’ll become like that woman at the end of this English course!!!S.O.S!! ).
I visited your second website…I think ”Open culture” is a very good title…very suggestive, isn’t it?! There is also “Don Quijote” by Cervantes in English!?! This book has been dogging me for years!
Ok, perhaps it is better if I talk about this website! Well, if you click on of the name of the book you would like to listen to, a page appears with its synopsis, a list of links to know much more about the book, and the list of the chapters you can download!
If you want to improve your listening skills, this website is just what you need!!

alessia f. ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!
As we all said podcasts are undoubtedly useful but just to make a sort of connection between this tool and the ones we discovered so far I would stress the benefit bloglines.com gives us! As you pointed out subscribing podcasts you can always look at your folder and see whether they are updated or not and then make them something new for your mp3 player! Great!

Bye
alessia